What Is a Blood Test?
A blood test is a test that measures or examines cells, chemicals, protein, and other substances. Click here to learn more about Charles Evans Center. If you’re looking for an annual blood test, visit medical care bethpage to get one today. A blood test is part of your regular checkup. Blood tests are also used to:
- Help in diagnosing certain diseases and conditions.
- Monitor chronic ailments or conditions, such as diabetes or high cholesterol.
- Check how well your organs are working. Your organs are your liver, kidneys, heart, and thyroid.
- This helps diagnose bleeding or clotting disorder.
- Find if your immune system is fighting off infections properly.
Different Types of Blood Tests?
Some common blood tests are:
- A Complete blood count (CBC). This test measures your red and white blood cells, platelets, and hemoglobin. This test is often included in regular checkups.
- A basic metabolic panel is a group of tests that measure certain chemicals in your blood. Some of these chemicals are included, such as glucose, calcium, and electrolytes.
- Blood tests to check for heart disease. This test includes a cholesterol test and triglyceride test.
- A Blood clot test, better known as a coagulation test, shows if you have a disorder that causes you to bleed or clot too much.
There are different ways a blood test is administered. The most common way a blood test is administered is with a needle into a vein. This process is called venipuncture. As this test is being administered, a small amount of blood is drawn into a test vial. The whole test takes about five minutes. Some other blood tests are:
- Finger prick test – This involves pricking the finger to obtain a small amount of blood which can be done from the comfort of your own home, and it’s very convenient.
- A heel stick test – This test is mainly done on newborns. The nurse would use a small needle to poke the heel to draw a small amount of blood.
- Arterial blood test – This test is meant to measure oxygen levels. So for this test, instead of a vein, an artery is used since it has oxygen-rich blood.
When preparing for blood work, there can be a unique preparation process. Some blood tests might need to fast for several hours before the blood test. Contact medical care bethpage for your blood test today!
What Blood Tests Should I Get Annually?
It is most recommended to have regular blood work around the same time each year, preferably with your yearly physical. But there are some exceptions to when you have to get blood work more regularly:
- You are experiencing unusual and persistent symptoms. These conditions can range from fatigue, abnormal weight gein to pain.
- You want to optimize your health. Various parameters are measured in a blood test HDL and LDL cholesterol. This can help you figure out what habits may be causing harm and what practices are doing good.
- Suppose you want to reduce the risk of disease or complications. Having a regular checkup can catch early signs of diseases. Many conditions that affect major organs can be detected through blood work.
Other Routine Tests
- Complete count (CBC)
- Chemistry (basic metabolic) panel
- Thyroid panel
- Nutrient test for levels of vital nutrients, such as iron or B vitamins.
- Enzyme markers this test detects if you are at risk of cancer, liver cirrhosis, stroke, or celiac disease.
- Sexually transmitted disease (STD) tests if you have multiple sexual partners or a new partner.
- To know what test you should be getting every year depends on your goals. Many tests offer different results, so speaking with your doctor to know which test you need to take and when.
- Also, as you get older, it may be wise to get all tests to be on the safe side.
Here at Charles Evans Center, we offer various treatments for adult and pediatric medicine. If you are looking for medical care Bethpage looks no further Charles Evans Center is the place for you. In addition to adult and pediatric we also offer:
- Women’s health
- Behavioral health (mental health and chemical dependency)
- Social work
- Assertive community treatment
- Mental health housing
- Case management
Contact Charles Evans Center Medical Care Bethpage
Click here to learn more about Charles Evans Center. If you’re looking for an annual blood test, visit medical care bethpage to get one today. Please book an appointment and visit our website to learn more about our services today!